Media Release - Natural disaster relief arrangements welcomed
Federal Member for O’Connor Rick Wilson MP has welcomed the announcement by Commonwealth Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett that disaster assistance has been activated in response to the heavy rainfall and associated flooding that commenced in the south-west region of the state on 18 January 2016.
Mr Wilson said the assistance being made available today through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) would ensure local councils and state agencies have the support they need to help flood-affected communities to clean-up and rebuild.
“The Commonwealth and Western Australian governments are committed to working together to ensure that individuals, families and local communities who have been affected by the recent flooding have access to assistance as soon as possible,” Mr Wilson said.
“The personal hardship and distress assistance being made available will help individuals and families get back on their feet as soon as possible.
“The assistance package will also assist local councils and state agencies to undertake clean-up operations and restore or replace public infrastructure damaged by the flooding.”
Assistance available under the NDRRA includes:
• personal hardship and distress assistance for families and individuals, including assistance with repairs to damaged homes and the replacement of essential household contents;
• personal and financial counselling;
• financial assistance for local and state government authorities to undertake counter-disaster operations and to restore damaged public infrastructure;
• interest rate subsidies for small businesses and primary producers who have been directly impacted by the fires; and
• freight subsidies for primary producers to assist with the costs of transporting livestock, fodder or water for livestock, and machinery and equipment.
The assistance has been activated for the local government areas of:
• Augusta-Margaret River
• Boyup Brook
• Nannup, and
• West Arthur.
Information regarding the assistance available can be found on the Western Australian Department of Premier and Cabinet website at www.dpc.wa.gov.au and on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au.