The good news contained in the 2019-20 Federal Budget was the dividend for the Liberal Party’s sound economic management, Member for O’Connor Rick Wilson said today.
“Our careful economic plan means we have delivered the first budget surplus in more than a decade, and the reward for that means we have been able to fund important local investment and boost essential services throughout O’Connor,” Mr Wilson said.
“Our plan balances the books to ensure we can pay for what we promise, creates more local jobs by backing our businesses, lowers taxes so more families keep more of what they earn and guarantees critical local services.”
The budget formalises some important investments for O’Connor, including:
- $140 million for the Albany Ring Road
- $16.4 million to rebuild Laverton Hospital
- $1.5 million for Goldfields Rehabilitation Services
- $100 million for regional airports
- $72 million for roads of strategic importance throughout the Wheatbelt
- $4 million for the Esperance tanker jetty replacement project
- $1 million for restoration of Coolgardie’s historic post office
- $4 million towards construction of a 40-bed aged care facility in Denmark, and ongoing operational funding of $2.7 million per annum
- $2 million to complete the State Barrier Fence to protect agricultural areas from wild dogs, and further funding to control foreign weeds and pests
“Under our plan, O’Connor families will also benefit from:
- Better connected communities through an additional $160 million investment in the Mobile Black Spot Program.
- Listing of critical medicines on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
- Support for older Australians, with 20,000 new home care packages and a reduction in red tape for 180,000 people a year in need of financial assistance with aged care services.
“I am particularly proud to have fought for and delivered funding for the Albany Ring Road, which will improve road safety in one of the top 10 accident blackspots in the state. This congestion-busting investment will not only keep heavy haulage moving, it will keep our community safer and make it an even better place to live and raise a family,” Mr Wilson said.
Mr Wilson said the Budget would build a stronger economy and secure a better future for all Australians.
“It will ease the cost of living pressures, fund infrastructure to unlock the potential of our regions and guarantee funding for essential services including hospitals, schools, drugs on the PBS, disability support,” Mr Wilson said
“Under Scott Morrison’s Liberal Government, the economy will always be stronger, allowing you and your family to get ahead.”